Monday, February 13, 2006

Alum Crystals

My scientific report on the growth of my crystals!!! Right here in SLS!!! Ain't that exciting??!!

Okay it's not exciting I know.

But I'm going to show you all the pics anyway.

I started growing the crystals on the very afternoon...11th of February 2006.
The 2 seed crystals were about 7mm in length.

Yea I apologise for the poor image quality... It was taken with my handphone's camera. =P
Yep so the 2 seed crystals looked like that!

The next day, at about 9pm or so, my beloved alum solution was kept in here like this... And it will be kept like this forever until all the water evaporates from the solution.

You see the Focus mag there on the left?? My favourite ok!!! =D

And I opened the cover...
behold!

Blimey! That's a fair bit of water which had evaporated!!!
Am I going to see a nice, big, crystal in there?

*drumroll*

and...

OMG I SEE RED BLOOD CELLS AND HAEMOGLOBIN!!!

Bah they're just the solution of alum+concentrated red food colouring...relax. I kind of dried the 2 crystals on tissue paper first. Apologise for the blood-like appearance!(and the blurness)

They were almost 1cm long... I'm rather happy with the results ya know.

Then I checked them today afternoon after my lunch.

Low and behold.



Exactly 1cm long. Nice right! Ah it's because I'm pro at this, of course.

Jus kidding...!

LOL like real I'm pro... It's only my third time doing this.

Hope you enjoyed my rather unscientific report. =D

Xinyi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home