Tuesday, July 05, 2005

"Oooh" is just how I would describe Light.

Yesterday, I was looking through my science encyclopedia on my computer. It's a CD-ROM. And I read up about light, stars, and the universe. Lots of cool, and horrifying stuff.

The cool:

If two light waves of exactly the same wavelength(eg. laser) cross each others' path, (like an 'X') they will 'cancel out each other'. Means that you don't see any light. I was going 'oooh...' So, I wondered if they would look like a 'V'. (From the human eye)

But if the wavelength (or frequency) of one light ray is longer/higher than the other, the one with the longer wavelength/higher frequency will block out the other light. So, I think that you'll end up with something like a 'Y'.

These can be demonstrated through a simple graph.

There are other phenomenons for the 2-light-rays-crossing-each-other-experiment. Many variables can be changed. I can't remember them all... :p

Old already... eh huh! eh huh! *pretends to cough like an elderly*

Hahaha...

Interesting right? There are many other interesting experiments too. Go check them out on the net. I'm erhh... too lazy to explain here. Hehehe!

examples of stuff I'm too lazy to explain (and also unable to explain well): inteferometer, LASER=Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation, umbras and penumbras, absorption and emission spectra, spectroscopy, ZzZzZzzzzz....

The Downright Horrifying...

One day,the Sun will eventually run out of Hydrogen to burn. (it's a star, remember?) When that happens, it will become BIGGER and HOTTER. Eventually, it will implode. It's own gravity will pull itself inside. Therefore, it will go BOOOOOM!!!

It will also suck in its neighbouring planets, pluto, someotherplanet, and possibly EARTH...
into INFINITY... where infinity=black hole
AAAHHH!!!

Oh ya! Go check out http://www.livescience.com !!!

PLENTY PLENTY PLENTY OF ARTICLES TO READ!!!

I just saw that my book, The Cartoon Guide to Physics, has this chapter... 'Quantum Electrodynamics'.
*stunned*

Nevermind. I'll have plenty of time to read it after the exams, right? =D

Including my other books. Like the Albert Einstein one, which I'm kind of stumped by. Some of the things in the relativity theory actually defy our science textbooks. Yay! Revamp our textbooks! Yay!

Bah. Wishful thinking. Doubt it'll happen, hehe!

To Sam: I know you can make that marble cake if you do it again! Add oil!!! =D (Jiayou) I'm sure you won't end up with an egg-cident again. (like what happened to me)

To Julia: thanks alot for the gifts!!! =)

To Mdm Seah: I like the video you showed us today. That's what I call learning through jokes.

:p *oops!*

Okay. Cya tomorrow!

Xinyi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home